We Are Walking in Honor of Briella. Please Help Us Meet Our Goal.

Thursday, November 15, 2012

6 Weeks Old!

We had so many things happen today.
1st off, Briella is on the next size diaper! She is now 2 pounds 8 ounces (1134 grams.) Her stage 1 diaper was so shockingly small. (Pictured below)

Briella got to move to the next stage bed! She moved out of her giraffe bed and into a regular isolette. The next bed is a crib!

Today was such a rowdy day. It was the first day that I was able to hold Briella in 5 days. Soon after the nurse put Brie in my shirt, her oxygen level plummeted. Anytime this happens, Briella is 90% of the time able to come back up on her own without turning the oxygen up. And she usually only drops to the 70s. Well she was in the 40s and 50s for about 5 minutes. The nurse kept taking her off of me, trying to make her mad so she would start fussing and remember to breathe. Then the nurse would try to put her back down on my chest. Then pick her back up again an rub her. Nothing was working and I was starting to panic. Brie was turning colors. Finally the nurse realized that the oxygen wasn't plugged in!!!!!!! So Briella was left to breathe on her own and was struggling a lot. As soon as it was plugged in, her numbers went right back up. Then the nurse started her feed. She is up to 20ml. The nurse asked if I was comfortable and went to lunch. There are usually 3 or 4 nurses on a row so if there is an alarm while 1 nurse is at lunch the other one helps. Well not 5 minutes later Briella's oxygen levels drop big again and were not coming up. I checked and everything was connected right. 3 or 4 minutes went by until I could finally hear a nurse. So I shouted out to her. She came in and turned Briella's oxygen up. She apologized and said I shouldn't have had to be in the room worrying for that long. Another 5-10 minutes go by and Briella drops her numbers again. And her heart rate drops. This is what is called a Brady and I have referred to it before. Briella does have these usually several a day. But she comes right back up by herself or if someone tickles her back. This time, I was talking to her, tickling her, rubbing on her and it wasn't working. I hear someone running down the hall. A nurse I had never seen came in to up her oxygen. Then the NICU receptionist came running in. I was terrified and practically in tears. The amount of fear that they showed freaked-me-out. So we sat in peace for a couple minutes while I snapped some photos, sang her a couple songs and FINALLY managed to catch her lifting her head up off me on video.
In the begining of the video, she had already moved her head away from how it should be positioned, so I am moving it to where it should be.
To see the video you have to watch it from a desktop/laptop.

And then. Again. Another loud alarm sounds. This one is her feeding tube alarm. It says empty. Briella is supposed to have her feeding over the span of 1 hour. Mistakenly it was set to 30 minutes. So her poor tummy was so full and she kept what they call "vageling". Too much reflux touches a nerve and her heart rate and oxygen levels will drop. So poor Briella had all those spells from human error. I'm just glad that I was able to understand what was going on and figure it out to bring to their attention.

Please continue to pray that Briella stays infection & NEC free and pray that her nurses and doctors have the wisdom to care for her and make proper decisions.

Here is a picture of kangaroo care time and another of her diaper!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Designed By Boutique-Website-Design.com